As Gonzales Independent School District transitions from one superintendent to another, Dr. Kim Strozier’s title and assignment of duties will officially change June 17 when the school district hires John Schumacher as their new superintendent.
“We can’t have two superintendents,” Gonzales ISD Board President Glenn Menking said at the meeting. “Her contract goes through the end of August, so from the time between June 17, next Monday, and the end of August, [Strozier] has agreed to a title change.”
Strozier’s title will officially be “administrative consultant” and will be in effect until her retirement date of Aug. 31, 2019.
Other news from the meeting:
- In light of GISD Police Chief Matthew Camarillo’s voluntary resignation, the Gonzales ISD board withdrew and rescinded their proposal to terminate his contract.
- In preparation for roof improvements on both Gonzales Junior High School and Gonzales High School, the district must have a structural inspection done by an engineer. The board passed a resolution, allowing “the superintendent the authority to select the most highly qualified design professional.” The language in the resolution says “superintendent,” meaning it allows for either Dr. Strozier to find an engineer this week, or soon-to-be-hired Schumacher to find an engineer next week.
- An inter-local agreement between Gonzales ISD and Waelder ISD passed, allowing the transportation of children from both districts to DAEP. The board opted to renew the contract for one year.
- The board approved two out-of-state trips, one for Gonzales High School FFA members to a national convention in Indianapolis on Oct. 30 – Nov. 2, 2019 and the other for the Gonzales High School yearbook and A/V students to attend the JEA/NSPA High School Journalism Convention in Washington DC in Nov. 20-24. The school district will pay for everything except flight costs.
- To align with recent changes in state law, an update for districts that use Texas Association of School Boards Policy Service was accepted by the board.
- The resale bid of property Suit #6988 and Suit #7113 was approved.
- Minutes of all the board meetings on May including those on May 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15 and 22 were accepted.
The next scheduled school board meeting is a special called on set for Monday, June 17, where the board of trustees is expected to offer John Schumacher an employment contract as the district’s new superintendent. Other items on the agenda include:
- Discuss and Consider action to approve relocation expenses for the new superintendent of schools
- Discuss and Consider Action to Approve Designating Investment Officer and Approved Training Providers
- Discuss and Consider Action to Approve Resolution Amending Authorized Representatives for TexPool
The meeting is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. at Gonzales Junior High School.