Smiley City Council agreed to hire U.S. Underwater Services, LLC to perform tank inspections for 2019. Though the city had its tanks inspected earlier this year, that inspection was for 2018. The 2018 inspection was delayed to earlier this year because of heavy amounts of rain in the area.
Other news from the meeting:
- Minutes from the June 20 meeting were approved with corrections.
- Council approved the treasury report and agreed to pay the bills.
- Marshal, municipal court, fire department and water and sewer reports were read.
- Smiley Volunteer Fire Department purchased hydraulic rescue tools.
- Discussions on allowing Hermann Sons Life Dance to use the Community Center on a weekly basis from end of August 2019 to first week of June 2020, Tuesday from 4:30 to 9 p.m. were tabled.
- Council approved allowing Wayne Dauer to rent a building at the corner of 100 Fairs Street and Highway 187. The terms of the lease are still being drawn up by City Attorney Eddie Escobar.
- No dates were set for budget workshopping outside of the Aug. 15, 2019 and Sept. 19, 2019 meetings. Council hopes to have a public hearing and have the budget and set tax rate finalized on Sept. 19.