Oct. 2, first shot fired in Texas Revolution after colonists refuse to surrender cannon saying, “Come and take it”
Oct. 11, Stephen F. Austin arrived and took command of “Texas Republican Army”
Oct. 12, army left Gonzales for San Antonio
Oct. 13, Halley’s comet visible in Texas
October, City Council ordered that rocks, stones, and dirt in the public domain be reserved for the “use of the citizens forever” City Council ordained that width of sidewalks in town of Gonzales be six feet wide and that pecan trees over eight inches in diameter be reserved for use of the town
Oct. 7, City Council ordained that all males between the ages of 18 and 45, except those exempt by state law, be required to work six days per year on roads in the Inner Town
Oct. 10-12, first Gonzales County Fair, held north of town between North Avenue and College Streets. Later moved to south end of Fair Street
Oct. 3, folks are urged to air their bed clothes over a chair and lift the mattress partly over the foot board. If a feather bed is used, pull it over a chair. Then open windows and doors so that fresh air may freely circulate over the bedding for two or three hours. This will make for healthy sleeping. Each member of the family should be trained to do this daily. (Bathing was not a daily ritual in 1885)
Oct. 14, the circus was well attended.
Oct. 1, the City Council states that it desires plans for a brick or stone High School building to be erected in Gonzales with a seating capacity of 500 students and to cost not more than ten thousand dollars.
Oct. 1, some ladies have reported to The Inquirer that they have been offended this summer by clerks who are waiting on ladies while in their shirt sleeves without even a vest. A salesman should be more careful of his appearance.
Oct. 15, after dissolving the lumber yard known as Remschel and Son, Henry Remschel will move to Kerrville where he has bought a small lumber business with a plan to enlarge it. J.H. Remschel will continue the lumber business in Gonzales.
Oct. 15, the work on improving the inner town is progressing. The ditch between the courthouse and the churches will be bridged on the street north of the courthouse.
Oct. 15, a sidewalk will be made from the Miller & Sayers Bank (upstairs in the building on the corner of St. Lawrence and St. Joseph) to the building north of the Methodist Church. A bridge will be built where this sidewalk crosses the ditch.
Oct. 3, the Aransas Pass train ran off the track twice in one day recently coming from Luling.
Oct. 24, Cavett-Maurin Building built of rock, completed (west side of Block 33) 520 St. Paul Street; Cavett was first tinner in area. (This building known for many years as Boothe & Lewis Hardware Store. Boothe & Lewis moved into the building in 1896 and remained for decades).
Oct. 1, the ladies attending the ninth session of the Woman’s Missionary Society of the West Texas Conference were escorted around town in carriages and shown the sights and beauties of Old Gonzales.
Oct. 15, J.H. Remschel advertises the “best ready-made fencing ever seen in Gonzales.” He also advertises “second-hand lumber at very low prices.”
Oct. 22, R.H. Walker, Prescription Druggist, says he will fill prescriptions “day, night or Sundays” and also declares that he has the “largest line of wall paper ever brought to Gonzales.”
Oct. 26, a landmark, the old Keyser Hotel, is being razed. It was built in 1852-1853 by W.V. Collins, sold in 1853, and called the “Gayoso Hotel” by owner Dr. Issaac Nicholson. Mr. R.H. Walker will erect a fine hotel and several store buildings on the site. (400 Block of St. James Street)
Oct. 26, The Kleine Opera House opened but still has no permanent seating.
Oct. 26, David S.H. Darst, one of the early settlers in Gonzales reports that people are telling histories that are not true. He declares that he and his parents and his sister arrived in Gonzales in 1829. (Current information places the family here in 1831) He further states that he attended a Sunday School under Mr. Baton in 1829-1830. Then he attended Literary School under Mr. D.B. Edwards in 1831. (This matches current information). He attended Literary School under John E. Garuin in 1832 and under Mr. Elder in 1834.