April 21, victory at San Jacinto means Texas is now a free republic
April, act was passed to build five bridges across ditches within the city
April 15, Gonzales College charter granted and received
Population of town - 400
April 4, Gonzales College opened, 820 St. Louis Street. Built by Captain John Mooney. Approximately 100-110 scholars with six60ty of them being female
April 11 - first Catholic Church structure begun
April 21 - cattlemen who were interviewed said that his might be the last cattle drive. It cost $2.25 a head to ship and $2 to drive, but when losses are figured in, the difference is small.
April 28 - Barnes & Sons Restaurant advertises spiced pigs feet.
April 28, people of Gonzales dread funerals because they must bear the bites of the millions of chiggers which infest the cemeteries. They amount to a veritable plague.
April 11, contract for new three-story brick jail let to Eugene Heiner, architect. Lots of controversy over location. Some wanted it on originally designated Jail Square (now Confederate Square) “in the heart of the City” rather than on originally named Market Square on the river where the existing jail then stood. It was finally determined that Central Square was best but later concern was that it was such a large structure that the “Courthouse would look like a shed or an outhouse to the jail.” (The courthouse being compared is the much smaller 1857 courthouse)
April 27, W.H. Kokernot shipped this week over the SAP, eight carloads of cattle to Caney, Kansas. J.B. Wells shipped four carloads to Kansas City.
April 27, the IOOF celebrated its 80th anniversary with a parade and a basket picnic. To add to the meal, eight carcasses of mutton, four hogs, and some beef were barbecued.
April 10, cornerstone laid at Cotton Mill at 1600 St. Lawrence Street; Masonic ceremony; cost $50,000; 104’x236’ brick building; 5,000 spindles; 150 workers on day and night run
April 21, the old Baptist Church building is being torn down.
April, James F. Miller home, “Walnut Ridge” completed. Built of brick with a slate roof, it has 14 large rooms, and attic and a basement. Sixty acres of land adjoin the home, with several acres forming a fenced yard. Bricks were made by Gonzales Sunset Brick and Tile Company. Six cedar trees were planted in front by Colonel Amasa Turner in 1872 (Miller’s father-in-law) Architect was Wahrenburger. The house had an 18,000-gallon underground cistern with a charcoal filter so that when the river water became murky, it was shut off from the house and the cistern water was used. Acquired by T.F. Harwood in 1912.
April 14, a rest room was established by the W.C.T.U. is now open. It is located at the old Fitzgerald Hotel opposite the Methodist Church. The rooms were designed to be a resting place for ladies who came to town from the country to shop and it was outfitted with lounging furniture, reading materials, and everything to make a lady feel comfortable. Free ice water will be served. Mr. J.B. Tadlock and wife will manage the rest area, as they will be living upstairs.