Come & Bake It returns to Gonzales


In the fall of 2022, Jennifer Kincaid approached Main Street Director Tiffany Padilla asking if Main Street would consider hosting a “Come and Bake It” competition in Gonzales.

After presenting the idea to the Main Street Board, they soon realized that it was not a “new” event to Gonzales. Since the early 1980s Gonzales has been the host to a county wide Pecan Show and baking competition put on by the County Agent Office.

“We used to enter every single category” says Linda Brown, committee chair and owner of Peach Creek Antiques. “Then around 1997 it all just stopped. No Pecan show, no competition, nothing.”

It’s unclear why the event was discontinued, but the committee suspects that the number of volunteers and organizers dwindled, and it was no longer sustainable.

The Main Street Board and Come & Bake It Committee are thrilled to be partnering with generous sponsors such as: Adams Extract & Spice, ARA Pecans, Peach Creek Antiques, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension, and Come & Crepe It in order to bring back the ‘Come & Bake It” portion of the Pecan Show & Sale to Gonzales.

The event will take place on Friday, Nov. 17 in the lobby of the Randle Rather building. Pre-registered contestants will bring their product to the lobby between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. Judging will begin at 9 a.m. Winners will be announced, and awards given at 12:15 p.m.

Once the awards are handed out, the silent auction will begin. Any monies raised from the sale and auction of the products will be distributed with the contestant receiving 70 percent and the remaining 30 percent contributed to Gonzales Main Street 501(c)(3). Make plans to join in the fun by bidding on the entries and taking home some delicious products.