FOOTBALL: Explosive first quarter lifts Ingleside to win over Gonzales

Apaches improve in second half, but cannot overcome deficit


The good news for Coach Mike Waldie is that his Gonzales squad completely outplayed and outscored the Ingleside Mustangs, 19-7, in the second half Friday, Sept. 17.

The bad news is the Apaches (1-3) surrendered 28 first-half points to their hosts without scoring any points of their own in the first 24 minutes of the game, which altogether added up to a 35-19 loss for Gonzales at Mustang Stadium.

Ingleside (3-0) got the ball first and found paydirt early when quarterback Aidan Jakobsohn completed a 51-yard TD pass to his receiver, Aiden Chalk, just two minutes into the game. A successful PAT made it 7-0 for the home team.

Mustang head coach Hunter Hambrick then gambled on an onside kick and caught the Apaches napping as Ingleside recovered the ball at the Gonzales 48-yard line. From there, Jakobsohn went to the air again, this time finding Leo Villarreal for another 51-yard TD reception. A German Lugo PAT increased the lead to 14-0 for Ingleside.

The Apaches started to get something going on offense and it looked like Cesar Matamoros would have the chance to bust open a huge play for the visitors, but he fumbled the ball and the Mustangs recovered at their own 49 to end the Gonzales drive.

Just minutes later, Ingleside got their third score of the quarter when Jakobsohn found a Mustang receiver for a 30-yard TD pass. Lugo’s PAT then made it 21-0 with about two minutes to play in the first quarter.

Gonzales started to drive the ball again, mixing up passes and runs, but a costly fumble at the Ingleside 26 ended what looked to be a chance to put points on the board before the half ended. From there, the Mustangs got their ground game in on the action with Villarreal breaking off a 43-yard TD run with five minutes left in the second quarter. Lugo’s PAT upped the score to 28-0.

Ingleside went for the onside kick again and got it at the Gonzales 27, but the Apache defense reached deep and forced the Mustangs to turn the ball over on downs. The Apaches could not muster anything on offense and punted the ball, and on the next possession, senior Braden Barfield notched his second INT in as many games to take the ball away from Ingleside right before the half ended.

Waldie appeared to have lit a fire under his team at halftime, because they looked like a completely different team in the second half, playing more aggressively and with more confidence.

Senior Breck Eleby took the handoff and raced 50 yards untouched for a TD to put the Apaches on the scoreboard with a minute gone in the third quarter. A two-point conversion attempt was unsuccessful, but the score was 28-6.

On the next possession, the Apaches recovered a Mustang fumble at the Ingleside 44. Gonzales and Ingleside then exchanged punts with Gonzales winning a battle of field position. Then, with under a minute to play in the third quarter, Eleby found the end zone again from a yard out, making it 28-12. Another two-point conversion run attempt was no good, just coming up a yard short.

The Mustangs put together their lone scoring drive of the second half on their next possession, punching the ball in from 20 yards out with seven minutes left in the game. A PAT kick made it 35-12.

The Apaches still had some fight left in them and found the end zone one last time with five minutes left in the game with Jarren Johnson doing the honors. A successful PAT kick by Jonathan Tejeda made it 35-19.

Gonzales tried to make an onside kick, but Ingleside came up with the ball and then ran out the clock to win the contest.

The Apaches travel to Jarrell next week to play their final non-district game at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 24.