The Gonzales Independent School District school board gave final approval for the district’s new superintendent in their Monday, June 13, meeting.
The board members returned from closed session and voted unanimously to hire Dr. Elmer Avellaneda as GISD’s new superintendent. “Dr. A,” as he has been called at other schools, will take over for interim superintendent Dr. Kimberly Strozier, who filled in after the retirement of former superintendent John Schumacher.
The board went over the 2022-23 budget workshop with Chief Financial Officer Amanda Smith going through an introduction of the budget.
She went over the process of the 2022-23 budget for the district, and she said the approach for this year’s budget will be similar to last year’s budget.
Smith didn’t go over concrete numbers due to it being “too early in process for that,” she said.
Smith anticipates a decrease in the tax rate for the 2022-23 school year.
In other business, the board voted the following items:
• approved representatives for the Lone Star Investment Pool.
• approved the Memorandum of Understanding with Victoria County Junior College District for the Dual Credit Program.
• approved the Interlocal Agreement with the University of Texas at Austin for the 2022-2023 OnRamps Program.
• approved the Purchase of HVAC Equipment. Pending legal approval.
• approved a Lease Agreement for Copiers and Associated Budget Amendments.