October 2, first shot fired in Texas Revolution after colonists refuse to surrender cannon saying, “Come and take it”
October 11, Stephen F. Austin arrived and took command of “Texas Republican Army”
October 12, army left Gonzales for San Antonio de Bexar
October 13, Halley’s comet visible in Texas
October 12, School Board announced school will be closed for two weeks owing to two or three cases of scarlet fever. Time will be made up at the end of the term.
Encouraged parents to keep their children off the streets and indoors.
October 19, Mr. Kleine is expecting new scenery for his opera house stage this week, but he has been unable to find chairs anywhere.
October 26, a landmark, the old Keyser Hotel, is being razed. It was built in 1852-1853 by W.V. Collins, sold in 1853, and called the “Gayoso Hotel” by owner Dr. Issaac Nicholson. Mr. R.H. Walker will erect a fine hotel and several store buildings on the site.(400 Block of St. James Street)
October 26, The Kleine Opera House opened but still has no permanent seating.
October 26, David S.H. Darst, one of the early settlers in Gonzales reports that people are telling histories that are not true. He declares that he and his parents and his sister arrived in Gonzales in 1829. (Current information places the family here in 1831) He further states that he attended a Sunday School under Mr. Baton in 1829-1830. Then he attended Literary School under Mr. D.B. Edwards in 1831. He attended Literary School under John E. Garuin in 1832 and under Mr. Elder in 1834.
October 8, work began on a new fire station facing south on St. Lawrence Street (Block 24), across from the county jail. The upstairs divided, with one side being for firefighters’ sleeping quarters and the other for City Hall/Municipal Building
October 17, Lexington Camp Number 706, Woodmen of the World in existence
October, fear of yellow fever causes many quarantines. Those coming into Gonzales from San Antonio required to spend ten days in quarantine on Reese place north of Gonzales
October 20, corner stone placed on the northeast corner of the new Post Office
October 20, bronze Texas Heroes monument by Pompeo Coppini unveiled on what is now known as Texas Heroes Square (Block 18). The weather was inclement causing the ceremony to be moved to the Gonzales Opera House. There was not enough room to accommodate all of the spectators.
October 18, pecan trees will be planted down both sides of the new State Park on East Avenue. Excavations for the artificial lake have been completed in the first block with a bubbling spring on the east end. A rustic bridge will reach to the island in the center. The park will include bridges, winding paths, a band stand, flower beds, playgrounds, and a bungalow to be occupied by the park superintendent. Palm trees will be planted between the curb and the cement walk.
October 27, the big dam over the Guadalupe River has been completed and turned over to the Gonzales Water, Light, and Power Company. The dam is hollow, reinforced concrete on a foundation of hard blue clay or shale. This dam took two years to build due to unusual high water and some flooding. An earlier dam was put in in 1884 by T.S. Walker, one-time owner of Gonzales Water Works system. Several other dams of different types of construction were in place but all failed.
October, the Crystal Theatre showed the first 100% natural color, talking, singing, and dancing picture…On With the Show
October, several dances held at Breezy Roof Garden
October 19, a working historical organization founded to work in accordance with Centennial plans, and assemble and preserve historic records of Gonzales County. G.H. DeWitt, great-grandson of Green DeWitt, elected president.
October 23, a reported crowd of 10 to 12 thousand people watched the 1 P.M. parade that was the opening spectacle of the 13th annual Gonzales County Fair and Pecan Exposition
October 21, pecan yield estimated at two million pounds (price, about 7 cents per pound)
October 30, Memorial Museum dedicated ($67,000)
October 2, so far this year a total of 419 hand knitted sweaters have been shipped from Gonzales County to the Red Cross for relief work
October 9, automobile owners are notified that they must, by a new law, have a certificate of title in order to purchase 1942 license plates
October 11, W.F. Robertson retired after being partner with Seydler since 1925. The business becomes “Seydler Funeral Home.” It was originally founded in 1914 with Robertson and Mittanck. In 1924 Seydler bought out Mittanck