This month in Gonzales history - November



  • 1, group of Gonzales farmers protesting the three “mammoth” dams that are to be built by Hunt Development Company of Delaware across the Guadalupe River in Gonzales County.
  • 8, the old Boothe building at the corner of St. Louis and St. Joseph streets will be razed and a modern filling station will be erected in its place by Dr. J.A. Maness. The Boothe family had conducted business there for more than 60 years.
  • 15, citizens protest the felling of two huge live oak trees which formed a gate way into the City on East Avenue near the bridge.


  • November 5, Gonzales County Centennial Exposition began.
  • On this date: at 1 p.m. a mile-long parade, at 4:30 a polo game between Gonzales and a San Antonio team from Fort Sam Houston, at 7:30 the pageant began with a reenactment of Texas history performed on a 200 foot long stage. Attendees for the day included Governor James Allred, Attorney General William McCraw, and Congressman Kleberg.
  • The Exposition ran until Sunday, November 10, when at 2:30 p.m. a statewide Sunday School Centennial was dedicated to the memory of Thomas J. Pilgrim who founded the first Sunday School in Texas in San Felipe in 1829. In 1840 he moved to Gonzales and remained active in education.


  • November 4, the Gonzales High School FHA girls will host the Area 12 Conference with over 750 attendees.
  • November 17, gins in Gonzales County have ginned 9307 bales of cotton, the most since the depression.


  • November 20, City leased the “Scout Hut,” the stone building located east of Memorial Museum, to the DAR for their use


  • November 17, City Commissioners debated the fate of the dangerously leaning gazebo/bandstand on North Avenue, near where City Hall is now.
  • A strong wind finished what the city had begun — tearing down the gazebo.


  • November, Memorial Heights Baptist Church moved into new sanctuary at 1330 North College with Oscar Thompson as minister.


  • November, Seydler-Hill expansion, three thousand, six hundred square feet to the north side of the building, is moving at a good rate. Target date is January.


  • November 13, James Thomas Rodenberg and wife, Laura Lippert Rodenberg bought Person’s Flower Shop from Homer Thomas Neitsch and wife Cynthia Kay Neitsch, as per deed


  • November 21, Discoverys from the Past, Architectural Antiques held grand opening in the old IOOF building at 409 St. Francis Street.


  • November, celebration at Memorial Museum when the building received both State and National Historical markers.