GALVESTON — Former Gonzales resident John C. Taylor was inducted into the Texas Press Association Hall of Fame on Saturday night in a ceremony at Moody Gardens in Galveston, Texas.
Taylor was noted for his tenure as publisher of the Seguin Gazette, which he purchased in 1954 and owned until 1979. While publisher of the Seguin Gazette, Taylor expanded the company into Trans-Texas Publishing Company, the first central printing plant south of the Dallas area. In its heyday, the plant was printing over 30 newspapers.
Taylor was active in local events, as he was a longtime director of the Guadalupe Blanco River Authority, serving 21 years under appointment from four different governors ending with Ann Richards. He was also a member of the St. Mary’s University Board of Directors and many local civic clubs.
Taylor grew up in Gonzales, then left to serve in the United States Marine Corps during World War II. He later was graduated from then Southwest Texas State College with a degree in journalism. His first job was with the San Antonio Light. He later was president of the South Texas Press Association and the Texas Gulf Coast Press Association. In 1975, he was the 98th president of the Texas Press Association and was instrumental in helping the Association find property that eventually became the headquarters of the Association at Fifth Street and West Avenue in downtown Austin. Granddaughters Beth Taylor, Lisa Weinstein and Katherine Taylor were present to accept the award on Taylor’s behalf.
Taylor died at the age of 88 in 2014.