The Nixon city council unanimously voted to contribute half of the funds needed to remodel the Nixon Volunteer Fire Department building. Nixon VFD sought the city’s help remolding the floor and walls of its building located at 209 S. Congress Ave. No estimate has been approved yet, with the lowest bid reportedly at $15,000.
In the same motion, the council agreed to secure funds in combination with funds needed to build a new city hall and convention center.
Other news from the meeting:
- Following a discussion between Allan Linebrink, Ray Nietsch and council, no action was taken regarding Gonzales EMS.
- Council denied the AEP Texas rate-filling increase.
- No action was taken on the new city hall and community center design
- May 4 election was canvassed and certified. Estevan “Steve” Aguirre, Justin La Fleur and Mary Ann Fatheree were the election winners.
- Council hired Langford Community Management Services to do a Master Park Plan for Texas Wildlife grant for new baseball and softball fields. They also approved budget amendments to allocate funds for the project.
- Council approved the City of Nixon policy manual.
- More information was needed before hiring BEFCO Engineering to do an engineering-as-built report. No action was taken
- A four-month variance was granted by council for 402 N. Nixon Ave.
- Minutes approved for April 8 and April 30 meetings.