Unless Gov. Greg Abbott shuts down public gatherings between now and Independence Day for COVID-19 pandemic concerns, the annual Star Spangled Spectacular will go on with both fireworks and concerts.
“The (Main Street) board voted to continue with the concert portion as long as the governor is still allowing it at that time,” said Main Street Director Liz Reiley.
The way it stands now, on Saturday, July 4, the concerts downtown on Confederate Square will start with Andrea Marie and the Magnolia Band from 7-8 p.m., followed by the Dirty River Boys from 8:30-10 p.m. At 10 p.m. the fireworks will begin. The 30-minute show will be launched from the brickyard part of Independence Park.
“You can park anywhere in the downtown area of Gonzales as see the fireworks,” Reiley said.
She said this event is something the community needs after months of having things shut down per state order.
“I was disappointed that we had to cancel the June portion of our concert series … It’s a great boost that we have something to look forward to and are working hard towards,” she said.
Reiley had announced earlier that Main Street wanted to at least have the fireworks portion of the event because they could be safely viewed with social distancing.
“We’re really excited about our fireworks portion,” Reiley said.
The decision about the concerts was made Tuesday night. Reiley said that there will be handwashing and hand sanitizer stations, and extra portable restrooms.
Although she is strongly suggesting that people wear masks and follow current safety guidelines, “at this time the city is not going to implement any kind of mask order.”
Reiley said updated information will be made available on the city’s website and on the Gonzales Main Street social media sites.