Schools in Gonzales County are either in remote-learning mode or on extended winter break, but five of six high school basketball teams in the county are on the court tonight:
• The Gonzales High boys basketball team hosts TMI-Episcopal at 6:15 p.m. The boys are 1-1 following a 71-42 win over Luling last week.
• The Gonzales High girls (4-1) take a four-game win streak to Yoakum for a 6:15 p.m. tipoff. The girls beat a pair of 5A teams before Thanksgiving break.
• The Nixon-Smiley High School girls return after a 10-day COVID-19 shutdown with a road game at Shiner St. Paul at 6:30 p.m. The girls are 1-1, but haven't played since a Nov. 14 win over Natalia.
• The Nixon-Smiley high boys team is 1-1 as it head out for a 6:15 p.m. game at Pettus.
• The Waelder boys basketball team is looking for it first win of the year after losses to Nixon-Smiley and Weimer. The boys play at Round Top Carmine at 5 p.m.
• The Waelder girls are off until Dec. 8 at Moulton. The girls dropped their Nov. 24 opener to Medina.