The Gonzales ISD school board met for its regularly scheduled meeting Monday, Aug. 8, to discuss several line items on the agenda.
One of the big items that was discussed the FY23 Truancy Prevention and Intervention Program. Director of PEIMS Sarah Gottwald went over the reasoning for the board to approve the grant. Gottwald explained if awarded, the district can hire a full-time truancy officer, but added if the grant is not fully funded, they’ll considered a part-time position or decline the original proposal and reapply for the 2024 school year.
Superintendent Dr. Elmer Avellaneda stated the grant was a top priority for the board and him to help students get the resources they need to come to school, hoping to assist each student as much as possible.
“This is another measure that we're looking at — to find a full-time truancy officer. I know we have one. But, being such a high priority, we're seeking a second individual with this grant,” Avellaneda stated.
The board approved the FY23 Truancy Prevention and Intervention Program Grant by a 6-0 vote. Board Secretary Sue Gottwald was not present for Monday night’s meeting.
In other business, the board discussed the upcoming price increase for adult meals served at GISD. All enrolled students will continue to receive free breakfast and lunch meals.
Ed Wayner, director of food services, spoke to the board about the anticipated price increase; breakfast will increasefrom $2.75 to $2.95 and lunch from $4.25 to $4.40, due to inflation.
“We do offer other options for the teachers as well, including some salad programs around $3 to $4. They also have an option because we're very sensitive about the pricing that we charge the adults.” Wayner explained.
The board also voted 6-0 to increase the adult meal prices.
The board approved the following line items:
• approved the resolution for COVID-19 retention and incentive.
• approved a Memorandum of Understanding with Texas International Education Consortium.
• approved the TASB Board Policy Update 119, affecting GISD local Policies.
• approved the list of teacher appraisers for the 2022-23 school year.
• approved to adopt the updates to the Gonzales GISD student code of conduct for 2022-2023.
• approved the GISD Emergency Operation Plan.
The board tabled the following two line items:
• an interlocal cooperation agreement with the city of Gonzales for public safety staffing and support related to law enforcement.
• notice of public meeting to discuss budget and propose tax rate was tabled to next Monday, Aug. 15, for a district budget workshop meeting.